Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Desk Cam!

Just a quick update to mention that I've started working on a new model, and that I've gotten a bit of a webcam working.

The new model is a Tamiya Calsonic Impul GT-R.  I figured this would be a fairly quick and easy one, that would let me make something shiny and work out all the kinks in my new camera/computer setup before I jump into a long-term project.

Speaking of camera/computer setup, I've gotten a webcam/time-lapse thing working.  I pulled an old computer out of the closet, got a cheap half-broken LCD monitor from a local used gear shop, and bought a decent webcam at Best Buy.  I got the computer setup with winXP and a little free program called Dorgem that will drive the camera and allows me to both shoot an image every 30 seconds and save that to a file as well as shoot an image every two minutes and upload that to my website.  Both of these are dependent on movement being detected in the frame, so it should avoid long, boring periods of my desk at night.  The camera is pointing straight down at the center area of my desk, so you should be able to see what I'm working on, but can't really see if I'm present in the area. 

So, yeah, if you want to see what I'm up to, model wise, have a peak at the new camera page here:

New DeskCam Fanciness!!

Note that while a new image is uploaded to the server every two minutes while the camera is running, the page itself does not manually refresh.  If you want to get the latest and greatest image, you'll need to reload the page.

Also, the image has a date and time in the upper left corner.  If that isn't a current (US Pacific time zone) time, then I've either got the camera turned off, or nothing is happening, so the camera has stopped uploading images.

Party on.

No comments: